November is one of my favorite months of the year. Not only is it my birthday month, but it’s also the month of Thanksgiving. It’s during this month that I take time to gather with friends for Friendsgiving and family for Thanksgiving. It’s a time when I am already thinking about all the ways I am thankful. It’s also during this month when I begin to think about what is to come in the upcoming year. So when I was thinking about what monthly challenge I wanted to complete this month, I immediately thought of a gratitude challenge. I thought this challenge would help encourage me to reflect on the many blessings in my life and mentally get me ready for the holiday season and upcoming year.
Monthly Gratitude Challenge Goals for November
- Take time to be thankful each day
- To have a more positive take on life
- To share positive thoughts and encouragement with those around me
Monthly Gratitude Challenge Goals – Floral | Monthly Gratitude Challenge Goals – Neutral
There are so many different ways you can practice gratitude in your life. After a lot of research and reflection, I have broken out the month into the following 5 sections:
- Establish a gratitude practice
- Written words of gratitude
- Thoughts of thankfulness
- Words of thankfulness
- Reflections and actions
For the first four weeks, I will be following the prompts in the weekly section below. And during the 5th week of the month, I will pick 1-2 points from the prior weeks and will work through them again. The goal at the end of the month is to create a gratitude habit and have practices I will want to continue throughout the rest of the year.
“You must choose to be happy, grateful, and fulfilled. If you make that choice every single day, regardless of where you are or what’s happening, you will be happy.”
― Rachel Hollis, Girl, Wash Your Face Your Face
My 30 Day Gratitude Practice
For my every week of gratitude, I wanted to establish a practice of gratitude and set habits that I can carry with me throughout the month. Below are prompts I plan to work through during my gratitude challenge:
Monthly Gratitude Challenge All Download – Floral | Monthly Gratitude Challenge All Download – Neutral
Gratitude Challenge Week 1: Establish a Gratitude Practice
- Take a Walk or Run and listen to the Alison Show’s Gratitude Practice podcast.
- Set a daily reminder on my phone to be thankful to establish a time of reflection each day.
- Identify and write down 3 ways I can learn from my mistakes. During this process, I will write down why I’m thankful for current and past mistakes. I will also write down 3 ways I can improve next time.
Week 1 Download – Floral | Week 1 Download – Neutral
Gratitude Challenge Week 2: Written Words of Gratitude
- Write in a gratitude journal all week
- Write a thank you note each day this week
- Write a positive review online
- Consider how your favorite restaurant might appreciate your kind Yelp review. You could also take the time to write an Amazon review for your favorite brand.
Week 2 Download – Floral | Week 2 Download – Neutral
Gratitude Challenge Week 3: Thoughts of Thankfulness
- Commit to one day of the week, when you don’t complain about anything
- Post quotes and images that remind you to be grateful around your house
- Think positive thoughts about people you dislike
- Don’t gossip or speak poorly of others
- When you think of a negative thought, try to look for the positive side of the situation. For example, what did you learn or what can you learn?
Week 3 Download – Floral | Week 3 Download – Neutral
Gratitude Challenge Week 4: Words of Thankfulness
- Thank someone for something they’ve done for you
- Share gratitude each day by posting a tweet, Facebook post or Pinterest.
- Make gratitude a part of family time and share a positive word during meal time
- Compliment a stranger
- Compliment a friend
Week 4 Download – Floral | Week 4 Download – Neutral
Gratitude Challenge Week 5: Reflections and Actions
- Reflect and pick one bullet point from each list above.
Week 5 Download – Floral | Week 5 Download – Neutral
Do you have any additional ideas? Please let me know in the comments below.