I started using makeup brushes a few years ago, and they’ve been a game-changer for me. My makeup looks better, and I have more fun experimenting with new makeup looks. When I first started to use makeup brushes, I didn’t know how often I should clean them or what steps I needed to take. And, unfortunately, I was guilty of not cleaning them often enough. Did you know that you should be cleaning your brushes every week to help reduce buildup and maintain the life of your brushes? (Read more about that here.)
What Should You Use to Clean Your Makeup?
Have you ever searched for makeup brush cleaners on Sephora or Ulta’s website? They can be expensive, and you have to repurchase often. After a lot of research, I found 2 different inexpensive and easy solutions you can use for brushes.
What You Need to Clean Makeup Brushes at Home
- Gentle baby soap or dawn soap
- Makeup cleaning mat
- Small Towels
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
Below is a step by step tutorial on how to clean makeup brushes.
- Fill a small bowl with soap.
- Dip your brush into the soap.
- Run your brush under the running water.
- Scrub your makeup brush over the cleaning mat by swirling and scrubbing.
- Rinse your brush under the water. Repeat the steps above until the brush is clean.
- Wipe the brush on a clean hand towel to remove any excess water
- Lay the brushes flat to dry. If possible, have your brushes hang over the edge of the towel to help speed up the drying process.
After I realized that there weren’t too many steps to clean my brushes, I added this to my Saturday/Sunday night routine, so my brushes are ready for the upcoming week. I try to do this every week, but have been guilty of skipping a week in between washes. Want to learn more about how often you should be cleaning your brushes? Read my post here.