I’ve been so excited to learn about the benefits of essential oils and discover everyday ways to take advantage of their amazing properties! One of my go-to methods is adding them to a diffuser for night-time refreshment, but I’ve been searching for a way to easily diffuse on the go. A safe and convenient method I’ve found is wearing aromatherapy jewelry. To try for myself, I decided to make a necklace using lava beads. Why use lava beads? The stones are porous, which allows them to effectively absorb oils and hold the aroma for hours.
Supplies for Your DIY Diffuser Necklace
You’ll want to start by purchasing supplies at a local craft store or online. For my necklaces, I picked up items from my local Michaels.
Lava Necklace Supplies:
- Lava beads
- Chain for the necklace. I used this one from Michaels, but this one would be better for beginners.
- Signature Color Shop Black & Gold Druzy Round Charms By Bead Landing
- 2” eye pins
You’ll Also Need:
- Wire cutters
- Flat Nose or Jewelry Pliers
- Your Favorite Essential Oils
How to Make Your Lava Bead Aromatherapy Necklace
To start, decide how many lava beads you’d like to have on your necklace. The instructions below apply to both necklaces that I made.
- First, mark where the lava beads should start on your necklace. Using a wire cutter, cut one of the loops on the chain of your necklace. You can skip this step if you purchased the connector chain necklaces.
- Next, take the lava beads and add them to the 2” eye pins. If you’re making a lava necklace with less than 4 beads, you’ll want to trim the wire to approximately 10mm from the last lava bead. After you’ve trimmed your eye pin, use your flat nose or jewelry pliers to bend the remaining wire to 90 degrees.
- Attach the loop of the eye pin to your necklace chain and close the gap in the loop with your pliers. Complete this step on both sides of the eye pins.
- After you’ve finished connecting the beads to your necklace you’re done!
I love completing quick and affordable DIY projects, and this necklace can be made in under 30 minutes! As soon as I finished my first necklace, I immediately put it on and started to diffuse! 🙂 You simply apply a couple of drops onto a q-tip and rub it on the beads. Wipe off any excess oils before you put on your necklace. Now, you can enjoy your favorite aroma throughout the day! In my experience, the smell of the oils can last anywhere from a couple of hours to all day long. What are some of your favorite essential oils and/or blends? Let me know in the comments below.